The 10 Most Unanswered Questions about

Addictions and Genetics

There is no shortage of people out there facing all manner of addiction. When they get to have kids, they shall wonder whether their addiction was passed down to them. Here is more info on what being a parent with an addiction means.
Addictions are unfortunately genetic. When kids whose parents were once heavy addicts get to teenage years, their likelihood of also succumbing is high. This addiction can be blamed on genetics and behavior. we can therefore see that behavior is the other factor as crucial as genetics. How you behave, and how your kids choose to also behave has a bearing on how they will be in future. Children tend to ape their parents.
As human beings, we share virtually 99.9% of our DNA. The only differences in our DNA are summed up in the other 0.1%. With such a small margin, there is a lot that shall be similar especially among family members. This shows you how some families have a certain disease affecting them, addictions being one of those. If you are fighting an addiction, you are right to worry about what changes your child stands.
You can also see how behavior has more to lend to an addiction. How you act around your child goes a long way. If you use drugs or alcohol, you shall be in close proximity to it. So will they. This is how they will get used to such things much earlier than usual. There is also the fact that this kid is being raised by an addict. You cannot reasonably expect them to turn out the normal way, with an addiction being the easiest thing for them to adapt.
The good news is that such an environment also presents you with the first-hand experience of the destructive effects of an addiction. There are many kids of addicts who learn to loathe the habit, having missed out on so much growing up. They will, therefore, do their best to make sure that this does not become the story of their lives in the future. You can make another positive contribution in their lives by making sure that this is not how history now repeats itself.
You can take some time to talk to them about drug and alcohol addiction, and even tell them some of the things you went through because of your addiction. This shall let them know how negatively it can impact their lives. We can see the danger the child is already in, but we can also see there is hope that they will not end up being as their fate wishes.
For those whose personal struggles are ongoing, they shall discover more info on how best to fight it here.